WHO IS JESUS?
Here at Lights, Jesus is the person we talk about most.
So who is he and why is he important?
John 3:16 says “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”
Jesus is God the Son who became human, to live a perfect life and die for us, so we could have eternal life
Here are 5 simple, key points about what we believe at Lights:
- God created the whole world, including us. He made us in his image, which means all humans are valuable. And he made us for a personal relationship with him (he didn’t just make everything and then sit back / disappear).
- God gave us a choice – to follow his way or go our own way. We turned our backs on God and decided to live as we wanted to – this is called sin.
- The Bible tells us that God is so good he won’t let sin go unpunished. The just sentence for our sin against the infinitely good God is death and hell.
- But God is not only good and just, he is also merciful and loving. He loves us so much that he sent his son Jesus to die instead of us, taking the punishment that we deserved. Jesus died a horrible death on a cross (which is why it is one of the symbols of Christianity), and then he rose again after conquering death.
- So now God gives us a choice – to keep going in our rebellion against him, or to turn to Jesus for forgiveness and eternal life. The Bible says ‘if you confess with your mouth ‘Jesus is Lord’ and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved’ (Romans 10:9).
At Lights, we pray that God can help you become a Christian by believing in Jesus. If you want to find out more or were confused by any of this, please come along to Lights. We would love to hear your questions and help you get to know Jesus!
Here's a helpful video that explains Christianity in just under six minutes.